Major Initiatives In Research
Techno India Group Science &Technology Entrepreneurs Park
The Science and Technology Entrepreneur Park is initiated to attract new entrepreneurs implementing or planning to implement state-of-the-art technologies, as well as to stimulate local entrepreneurs to introduce innovations in production process and to modernize their products and services offered in the market. The emergence of these companies on the local market can positively influence the process of restructuring the local economy and labour market. STEP creates the necessary climate for innovation, information exchange, sharing of experience and facilities and opening new avenues for students, teachers, researchers and industrial managers to grow in a trans-disciplinary culture, each understanding and depending on the other's inputs for starting a successful economic venture.
- To establish a bridge between academic institutions and the industry
- To provide support for research & development in emerging technologies such as VLSI, Embedded Systems,
Open Source Software Technology and Telecommunication by creating a Centre of Excellence
- To motivate and nurture enterprising individuals into successful entrepreneurs
- To provide world class infrastructure and to facilitate all resources under one roof for the corporate employer
- Employers will have the opportunity to train future employees as per their own requirements
- To create a pool of talented professionals, trained and ready to join the productive workforce
- To multinational corporate companies, thus facilitating the technology revolution in West Bengal
- To create technology awareness and enterprising atmosphere for the growth of new businesses
- To increase the overall economic prosperity of the people which will reflect positively in other area such as
Tourism, Housing, Retail and many more
Target to be achieved:
- Creating groundwork for TIG Industry in
- Educational Technology and Edu-governance
- Network, WI FI solutions
- Electronics-laptops, Tablet PCs, multi-utility mobile sets
- Optimum utilization of Unutilized Group Resources
- Availing Grants/ Soft Govt. loans (e.g. Technology Development Board of DST)
- Product / Solutions development and Commercialization through Marketing
- Floating Individual Industries
Categories of Entrepreneur:
To achieve these targets the following four types of entrepreneurs work together:
- Student Entrepreneur (IT Incubation):
Mid Level Entrepreneur:
TIG-STEP acts as a venture capitalist towards student entrepreneurs by providing infrastructure, know-how and marketing support. To nurture their talents, student entrepreneur are provided with work station with all common facilities, common reception, telephone, network connectivity in IT incubation for one year.
Apart from lectureship the role of the faculty entrepreneur is to continue research work towards PhD program and product development in emerging technological job areas. TIG has already established 10 advanced labs to encourage faculty entrepreneurs. The fields in which the faculty members are working are: Cellular Automata, Embedded Technology, Information Technology, Nano Robotics, VLSI, DSP, Education Technology, Food Technology and Biotechnology.
Middle level entrepreneurs join TIG as equity/ royalty/joint venture capitalists. This is an open platform for successful NRIs having dreams to return to India and start business in the advance area. Mirror Plus-USA, Core lynx Inc- USA have already tied up with TIG and started work at STEP. These middle level entrepreneurs are also in-charge of grooming the students and helping them in their project work.
Multinational companies who want to enter West Bengal are welcome to STEP on a condition to help students from the state in getting a job. MNCs get 30- to 40% subsidy on the costing of infrastructure. They may have Plug and Play infrastructure or Bare Shell. The participation may be on the basis of equity/ royalty sharing or rent and agreement may be short term or long term.
- Technical know-how
- Venture capital
- Business plan
- Onsite management
- Technology transfer
- Round the clock security
- Uninterrupted power supply
- Purified water
- Well furnished infrastructure
- Telecom facility
- High speed internet connectivity
- Gymnasium and health club
Techno India Sponsored Research and Industrial Consultancy
Techno India Group, one of the largest knowledge Management group in the country has spread its wing in Education and Research for almost two decades in different parts of India and has established the Techno India Research Foundation (TIRF) which is the apex administrative platform supporting all sponsored Research and Development, Industrial Consultancy activities along with fostering commercialization of Technology outputs through Business Incubation. Under TIRF we have Techno India Research Lab, which consists of twenty research labs. The Corporate Research Labs allow the corporate players to set up their units at the Center of Excellence at Techno India. There is also the Techno Business Innovation Center(TBIC), which implements all kinds of entrepreneurial activities of TIRDF as well as various institutions within Techno India Group.
TIG-SRIC aspire to establish a system that would continuously monitor and facilitate the research and development activities of different Institutes within the group and ultimately develop a strong research group who will maintain relevance to world class research by linking with industry and business through National and International research networks.
- Ensure high quality research
- Facilitate contact with commercial operators
- Coordinate cooperation with other research institutions, nationally and internationally
- Provide further opportunity for education and recruitment
- Be the hub of communication between government bodies and society in general
- Create solid economic funding
- To be instrumental in developing the platform wherein the Academic Community joins hands with friends from industry in pursuing applied research leading to the development of innovative technologies.
- To build up a TECHNOPOLIS, a unique concept in Global Research and Development where quality research and technology development along with technology commercialization through Business Incubation is the focal activity.
ACTIVITIES OF TIG-SRIC:
I. Some of the Institutional Research labs & Centers:
- Food Quality Control Lab (FQCL)
- Biotechnology Lab (BTL)
- Cellular Automata and Research Lab (CARL)
- Web Intelligence and Distributed Computing Lab
- Embedded Systems Lab (ESL)
- WI-FI and WI-MAX Lab
- Nanotechnology Center of Excellence
- Nano Materials Lab
- Advanced DLN Coating Lab
- Advanced Electrical Instrumentation Lab (AEIL)
- Food Processing Technology Lab (FTL)
- Education Technology Lab (ETL)
- Multimedia Lab (MML)
- Construction Technology & Advanced Architecture Lab (CTL)
- Advanced Communication and Network Lab
- Genetics Engineering Lab
- Center for Technology Innovation & Incubation
- Center for Management Sciences
- Biomedical Technology Laboratory
- Centre for Rural Technology
- Mobile Technology Laboratory
II. Faculty/ Staff Development Program
The Techno India Group will offer Short Term courses/ Workshop in a wide range of subjects. Teachers and Professionals may attend such courses for getting exposure to new technologies, for acquiring knowledge in thrust areas of research or simply for refreshing knowledge learned in colleges several years ago. Courses will be offered by individual colleges for individual participants or sponsored by Government or private organizations.
Short Term Courses to be organized are as follows:
Category 1: Government sponsored (AICTE, DST, CSIR, UGC, etc) funded Short Term Course/ Seminar.
Category 2: Research Organization (e.g., BARC, ISRO, etc.) / Industry sponsored Short term
Category 3: Self-financed Short Term Course/ Seminar.
- Every college under TIG will submit a detailed yearly plan towards organizing items under faculty / staff development program at the beginning of the academic year to the TIG-SRIC. For organization of self financed training programs, financial approval will be needed from TIG-SRIC.
- Each college will send proposal for financial assistance for organizing Symposium / Conference / Seminar / Workshop at National and International level in various fields of Technology and Science to the different funding agencies.
- Each college should host at least one short tem course/ workshop sponsored by govt. or industry every year.
- Every college under TIG should organize a National Conference every alternate year. All efforts will be made by the colleges to seek adequate sponsorship for organizing the Conference. TIG-SRIC will also provide necessary financial aid. Conference proceedings must be published and every effort should be taken to secure ISBN number for such proceedings. The Conferences should have proper advertisement and should be well circulated throughout India/ abroad so that high quality papers can be received for publishing in the proceedings.
III. Industrial Consultancy
Techno India Group has excellent infrastructural facility to carry on industrial consultancy projects. The group has dedicated faculty members with huge industrial experience. The colleges under this group are equipped with modernized laboratories with sophisticated tailor-made equipments suitable for carrying out industrial consultancy. The faculty members with industrial experience should thrive towards bringing industrial consultancy projects.
IV. Research and Development
A commitment to research
Techno India Group has all the facilities for excellence in research activity supported by high quality faculties. The group is committed to fundamental research as well as the development of innovative technologies for the future, and offers a quality research training experience for the students. The group wants to maintain its relevance to world-class research by linking with industry and business through local and international research networks.
TIG research strengths span diverse disciplines like biotechnology, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Food Technology, Civil Engineering, Information Technology, etc. Emerging fields and key hi-tech disciplines of the future are focuses on. It encourages its researchers to participate in a wide range of national and international research collaborations. TIG's extensive network creates unique opportunities for conducting and supporting research, particularly in inter- and multi-disciplinary areas.
- Every faculty with Ph.D. degree must submit at least two research proposals each year to different funding agencies until he has received one. It is expected that every Ph.D. faculty in TIG group should have one current research project. A copy of the proposal will be marked to the Cell.
- Faculty members, who are pursuing the Ph.D. degree with a particular research scheme, should send at least one research proposal in an academic year for financial support pertaining to expeditious implementation of the scheme through the Cell. For increasing the chance of acceptance of the proposal the faculty members will be associated with a senior faculty from his/ her own Institution or any other Institution. The Cell will provide necessary guidance in writing the proposal as well as its presentation.
- Faculty members with Master degree should enroll for the Ph.D. programme under a suitable University. The Cell should be consulted for facilitation in this respect including identifying the supervisor.
- Faculty members with Ph.D. degree and not having any Ph.D. candidate under him/her enrolled / registered should have at least one enrolled/ registered Ph.D. student from the TIG colleges. The Cell will provide assistance to arrange scholar.
V. Archive of publication
Techno India group is proud to have within the group innovative faculty members with strong bent towards research along with teaching. Their research papers have been published in reputed International and National Journals and proceedings of Conferences.
- To promote research and academic collaboration in areas of mutual interest and facilitate exchange of knowledge based resources, the faculty members are requested to submit the list (soft copy) of their published research papers along with the abstract of each paper. The list of the papers will be displayed in the website of TIG-SRIC so that all the members of Techno India Group will be aware of the expertise of the others and can share their knowledge as and when required.
- TIG-SRIC will launch a website for e-journals which will publish learned research work of the faculty members in the form of papers/ discussions/ technical notes/ short communications. E-journals will be published quarterly in a year. Faculty members of all colleges are expected to contribute towards this journal. The e-journals will also be published in hard copy for circulation.
VI. Listed below are some funding sources for research that faculty members of TIG colleges should explore and avail :
VI A. Schemes of AICTE
AICTE provides financial aid for faculty development programs under the following heads:
Travel grant: The Scheme extends financial assistance to meritorious faculties of AICTE approved Departments / Institutions to present research paper in an International Conference / Seminar Symposium in areas of Engineering & Technology. The scheme is operative for presenting research paper in an International Seminar/ Conference / Symposium only. The proposal for attending any Short Term / Long Term training course(s) either within or outside the country are not considered under this scheme.
Seminar grant: The scheme provides financial assistance to institutions for organizing Symposium / Conference / Seminar / Workshop at National and International level in various fields of Technical Education. The Scheme intends to promote high standards in Technical Education by way of extending opportunities to the academicians and working professionals by providing a forum for sharing their knowledge, experiences, innovations and inventions. Preference is given to topics of interdisciplinary nature, emerging and thrust areas in Technical Education.
Career award for Young Teachers:The purpose of the scheme is to identify young talented teachers who have established competence in their area of specialization. The age limit for the award is 35 years as on the last date for application, with relaxation in age up to 5 years for women teachers.
Emeritus fellowship: This scheme utilizes services of highly qualified and experienced superannuated Professors of Technical Institutions/ Universities in stimulating and achieving excellence in Technical Education.
Staff development program:The scheme intends to provide financial assistance to facilitate up-gradation of knowledge, skill and intends to provide opportunities for induction training to teachers employed in Engineering & Technology.
Visiting Professorship: This scheme is aimed at supplementing and providing expertise to teaching/ research in those areas in which host institutions do not have the expertise. Eminent scholars holding the post of Professor are considered for appointment as Visiting Professors.
The scheme of Professional Societies/ Bodies: This scheme intends to provide limited non-recurring financial assistance to selected technical professional bodies / societies to enable them to meet the expenses towards promotion and development of technical education in their respective professions through various means provided in their objectives.
Early Faculty Induction program: It aims at attracting bright and young students in AICTE approved institutions to take teaching as their career.
Quality Improvement program: This program is being implemented with the objective of upgrading the expertise, qualification and capabilities of the faculty members of degree level technical institutions under the schemes of:
- Masters and Doctoral program (b) Short term program (c) Curriculum Development
- AICTE-INAE distinguished visiting professorship:AICTE and Indian National Academy of Engineers (INAE) have jointly initiated this scheme. Under this scheme, highly experienced technical professionals from the Industry visit technical institutes for short durations to give technical lectures for the benefit of students and faculty members. They also help in improving curriculum design and in formulation and guidance on the projects for students.
TAPTEC (Thrust area Program in Technical Education):The major objectives are to equip institutions for achieving excellence in emerging/high-tech/thrust areas of research and generation of new and emerging technology.
RPS (Research promotion scheme):This research promotion scheme aims to create research ambience in the institutes by promoting research in engineering sciences and innovations in established and newer technologies.
VI B. Schemes of DST
DST provides financial aid for faculty development programs under the following heads:
SERC fast track scheme for young scientists:FAST track Young Scientists program is aimed at providing quick research support to young scientists to purse their bright ideas in newly emerging and front line areas of research in science and engineering. The candidate must be below 35 years age (with relaxation of 5 years for women) as on the date of receipt of the application in DST.
Project support to individual scientist and technologist (SERC):To promote research in newly emerging and frontier areas of science and engineering including multidisciplinary fields. Better Opportunities for Young Scientists in Chosen Areas of Science and Technology (BOYSCAST): It provides opportunities to the young Indian scientists/technologists who hold regular positions in recognized science & technology institutes in India for visiting international institutions to enable them to interact with scientists/technologists abroad, get exposure to latest research techniques, participate and contribute to the latest developments in specially chosen areas of science & technology.
Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure in Universities and Higher Educational Institutions (FIST): The Scheme provides optimal infrastructure facilities such as, renovation of laboratory space & cold rooms (no fresh constructions), modernization of laboratories, acquisition of essential equipment & up-gradation of existing facilities, databases, scientific books (no journals) etc.. The facilities provided under the Program are intended to support the efforts of the Department as a whole or a number of faculty members in the Department.
International travel support scheme: The scheme provides financial assistance for presenting a research paper or chairing a session or delivering a keynote address in an international scientific event (conference/seminar/symposium/workshop etc.).In addition, support is also provided to young scientists (age limit 35 years as on date of conference) for attending training programmes and short-term schools/workshops/courses.
IRHPA (Intensification of research in high priority area): The main thrust of the scheme is to ensure intensification of scientific research in selected areas of great relevance and potential for scientific and technological development of the country.
Ramanna fellowship: The objective of Ramanna Fellowship is to offer continued core financial support to those researchers who have performed excellently well in their ongoing basic research projects of SERC (viz. FAST TRACK Scheme for Young Scientists, Women Scientists Scheme-A, SERC Individual Research Projects, Nano Science and Technology Initiative projects and Swarnajayanti Fellowship projects). For major financial support for their research activities including major equipment and infrastructure creation, however, they would continue to go through the other available schemes of SERC and DST.
Swarnajayanti fellowship: Under this scheme a selected number of young scientists, with proven track record, are provided special assistance and support to enable them to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology. The fellowships are scientist specific and not institution specific, very selective and have close academic monitoring. JC Bose fellowship: The fellowship is meant to recognize active scientists and engineers for their outstanding performance and contributions. The Department of Science & Technology will administer this scheme. The fellowships are scientistâ€"specific and very selective.
VI C. Schemes of CSIR
CSIR provides financial aid for faculty development programs under the following heads:
CSIR symposium grant: CSIR's symposium grant is provided for the organization of a symposium/ seminar/ conference/ workshop etc. of national character. All academic Institutions are eligible to apply for the grant. The applications must be received at least three months before the event.
Foreign travel grant: CSIR has a scheme for providing partial travel assistance to any deserving bright young Indian Scientist working in an academic or research institution in India for participating in Conferences, Symposia, etc. held abroad provided his/ her paper has been accepted for presentation.
CSIR research grant: CSIR provides financial assistance to promote research work in the fields of Science and Technology. The assistance is provided by way of grants to Professors/ Experts in regular employment.
Incentives to the faculty and Professionals to encourage Research/ R&D/ Industrial Consultancy:
- The TIG-SRIC will provide at least one additional increment to those faculty members who will obtain Ph.D. degree within 5 years of service besides the additional incremental benefits admissible under AICTE rules.
- The TIG-SRIC will provide at least one additional increment to those faculty members who will supervise a research scholar to as and when the scholar obtains the Ph.D. degree. For every such scholar obtaining the Ph.D. degree, one additional increment will be admissible. The TIG-SRIC will provide one additional increment to a faculty member for publication of five research papers in referred academic/ research journals.
- The TIG-SRIC will ensure that 30% of the net revenue generated out of a R & D and Industrial Consultancy Projects is retained by the faculty or by the professionals (under TIG) who have executed such projects/schemes. This benefit will be provided after the Final Technical Report (FTR) is submitted to the concerned funding agency together with the Utilisation Certificate.
- The TIG-SRIC will provide financial assistance to the extent of 25% of the net requirement for organizing National and International Seminars/ Conferences/ Workshops organized by the Departments of TIG colleges. The Cell will always render support for getting financial assistance from funding agencies and sponsorship from industry. It is, therefore, desirable that the Cell is actively associated while planning to host these programmes.
- The TIG-SRIC will organize one Seminar/ Conference in each year in a central location like Kolkata in collaboration with academic fraternity of TIG.
- An Advisory Committee to be duly constituted, will supervise the entire functioning and management of the TIG-SRIC.
- The TIG-SRIC will have an annual budgetary support from the TIG.